Monday, November 28, 2011

Sandwiches?

Bitch make me a sandwich? Really?

I've been having trouble completely understanding this meme. I know it's meant to be degrading women by implying they should stop engaging in whatever activity is taking place and go to the kitchen to serve the culinary desires of a man. The difficulty I have with this insult, other than the fact that it is the retort of generally pretty unintelligent men who are unable to level insults in more intelligent ways, is the choice of sandwiches. Why sandwiches?

Here's the thing. I don't have anything against sandwiches. Often a nutritious delicious snack or meal  for lunch, afternoon tea, dinner or supper. But it is hard to deny there are certainly more enjoyable foods that could be prepared and consumed if you were going to demand that someone prepare you food. A roast dinner for example. Maybe a pasta meal. Or perhaps an omelet. Bitch make me an omelet as it's much tastier than a sandwich.

However I suppose sandwiches are reasonably universal. After all, not everyone likes eggs. People the world over have enjoyed the combination of various foods between pieces of bread since the Earl of Sandwich first thought up the idea in the 18th Century. This may be why this particular meal was chosen. Bitch make me a simple meal which almost anyone can appreciate and enjoy. And hard to screw up.

The simplicity of the sandwich may also be derivative of its selection. That there are fewer meals which are as simple and quick to prepare and enjoy is notable. Bitch, I do not consider you intelligent and able enough to prepare me a meal of real substance, but I believe the humble sandwich to be within your grasp. I'm hungry right now and don't have time for your inferior intellect to grasp the complex omelet folding process. Oh snap.

I think this simplicity can be extended to the fact that almost anything can be in a sandwich. It's a very basic concept really. In any online argument where a man is outwitted by a woman, he can simply retort with 'Bitch make me an X sandwich.' Say if you are having an argument about cheese. Or postage stamps. Or electoral reform. Any of these can be referred to in sandwich form, the more abstract the idea the greater the degree of hilarity and insult. Bitch, make me an electoral reform sandwich. Hilarious.

Maybe I'm over-thinking it all. Maybe the first man to tell a bitch to make him a sandwich really just wanted a sandwich. Not hungry enough for a big meal, but hungry all the same. If ever I meet him, I'll ask him. And maybe give him a sandwich maker for Christmas.

Flexoskeleton. Asking important questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment